Moving an entire household abroad is no easy feat – you have to transport years of your life! If you’re moving overseas, a moving company will most likely be shipping your belongings using an international shipping container.
International Container Shipping Sizes
When shipping a container overseas, the most common shipping method is via cargo ship. Transporting a shipping container by air is a much faster option that – but prepare to pay the price!
The two most common container sizes are 20 ft and 40 ft. But which size should you go for?
- Shipping a 20ft container: 30 – 35 cubic meters (up to and including a 3-bedroom house).
- Shipping a 40ft container: 65 – 75 cubic meters, (approximately a 4-bedroom house).
Depending on the total volume of your furniture, you can also opt to share your container. When it comes to container shipping, we make the difference between FCL and LCL:
- FCL: ‘Full Container Load’ is when you need a whole container to ship your furniture abroad.
- LCL : ‘Less Container Load’ is more interesting when you have less volume, and you are willing to share the container space.
Container Shipping Rates from the UK
The costs to ship a container to from the UK can widely vary depending on a variety of factors. What are the important factors to look for when calculating container shipping rates?
- Volume: when shipping your furniture abroad, you’ll have to decide between a 20ft and a 40ft container. Opting for an LCL will for example be much less expensive than an FCL.
- Distance: shipping a container from the UK to Australia is not the same as shipping a container to the USA. The greater the distance, the greater your shipping container costs.
Aside from these two key factors, the time of year, custom duties and import taxes also factor into your container shipping rates.
Get Your Container Shipping Container Quotes Now!
As you can probably guess, coming up with an average for your container shipping rate is not an easy task. Luckily, Sirelo offers tailored container shipping quotes to help determine the exact costs involved with your international move. How does it work?
- Enter your moving details in our quick and easy quote form.
- Receive up to 5 container shipping quotes.
- Book your international container shipping company.
Receiving container shipping quotes with Sirelo is that easy! Now, how can you make sure to choose the right one?
How Can I Choose the Right Container Shipping Company?
When looking for container shipping companies, we always recommend checking for these three elements:
- Reviews: determine a more accurate reputation of the international shipping company.
- Services & prices: compare based on your needs and expectations.
- Moving associations & certifications: make sure you select a trustworthy mover.