Expert movers have compiled this moving checklist. It is a very helpful list to make sure you do not forget anything. You could print this page, and check each box when finished!
Moving Checklist: After purchasing your new house:
- Put your old house up for sale and cancel the rent of your old house/garage;
- Disconnect telephone;
- Negotiate with new inhabitants on matter of purchase of redundant carpets, drapes, aerials, etc.;
- Take measurements in your new house (for furniture, refrigerator, gas cooker, drapes, curtains, and sun blinds…;
- Cancel or change automatic payments;
- Request free quotes from specialized move companies early. Easily done here;
- Get your mover to deliver boxes well in advance, so that you can start packing early (see packing tips);
- Gather information about your new place of residence. (School, work, shops, medical care, rates & taxes, garbage, etc.);
- Make sure you have the right visa for the country in which you will live;
- Buy a map of the town so that you can inform family, friends and your move company of the exact location of your new home.
Moving Checklist: Before moving into your new home:
- Pay attention to the amount and location of power outlets;
- Find out about regulations of proprietor of house you are moving into;
- Find out about the local regulations regarding placement of satellite receivers;
- Find out about the local garbage collection schedule;
- Find out if the house is connected to the gas/electricity mains;
- Find out if the house is connected to a town heating system;
- If there is a chimney, check to see if it’s swept;
- Is there a special connection for electrical cooking?
- Is an elevator/hoisting installation accessible for the movers?
Moving Checklist: Make sure everybody knows about the upcoming move:
- Give notice to cleaning lady/chimney sweeper; terminate rent of post-box(mind the keys!);
- Inform doctors, dentist, specialist, pharmacy, city council, and school;
- Inform insurance company/companies, banks;
- Terminate contract with electricity/gas company;
- Terminate subscriptions;
- Change addresses in passports and driving licenses.
Moving checklist: A few weeks before the move:
- Make arrangements for day-care of small children and pets;
- Arrange transfer of keys of old house and new house (extra keys!);
- Cash in coupons of local shops;
- Return library books;
- Clean out house of things you won’t need in new home;
- Give away/sell what you won’t be taking with you;
- Disassemble any lamps, curtains and furniture that you wish to take with you.
Moving checklist: A couple of days before the move:
- Clean your new house;
- Remove wall-to-wall carpeting;
- Pack everything you will not need on the day of your move;
- Use last day of garbage collection to dispose of everything you no longer need;
- Make sure you have cash at hand. (Coffee and pastries are appreciated on moving day);
- Make sure the parking space around your house is accessible.
Moving checklist: The day of the move:
- Keep a couple of boxes empty to fill at the last moment;
- Remove last curtains;
- Keep important items such as keys, money, and medical papers, spare fuses apart;
- Check every room for forgotten items;
- Write down current gas/electricity meter readings; disconnect gas and electricity;
- Drain water pipes in winter (even in the absence of frost);
- Close windows and doors carefully;
- Give keys to caretaker or new owner.
Moving checklist: In your new house:
- Mark rooms;
- Try to put everything in its correct place right away;
- Check all items for possible damage as soon as they have been unpacked;
- Do not switch on refrigerator and freezer for 24 hours to allow appliances to settle;
- Release safety on (tumbler) washing machine.
Moving checklist: After the move:
- Attach nameplate to door;
- Notify mover of any damage to your household goods;
- Settle any damage to your house with owner;
- Notify town council of your arrival and change address in passport and driving license;
- Pick up key to new post box;
- Introduce yourself to new school, neighbours, suppliers, etc.;
- Check if mail is being forwarded.